Home | Unoccupied Commercial Property Insurance


Unoccupied Commercial Property Insurance

Insuring your commercial premises can be a complicated process. Many insurers now offer standard sums insured and fixed levels of cover for building insurance which may not suit your requirements. It can also be difficult insuring your contents whilst the property is unoccupied as cover is usually very restrictive or non-existent.
We have built up a panel of insurers who are able to offer flexible insurance on your commercial premises with the option of added cover designed to specifically suit you.

We can offer various options for your property including:

  • Short term insurance
  • 3 levels of cover including full perils
  • Accidental damage
  • Up to £5m property owners liability
  • Vacant cover up to 5 years
  • Contents cover
  • Cover for commercial and industrial properties
  • Option to amend to a occupied policy

Our short term insurance is designed for circumstances such as the property is awaiting sale, awaiting occupancy, undergoing renovation, or awaiting probate. The benefit of this is that you do not have to pay annual premiums as usually insurers offer no return of premium or charge higher cancellation fees if the policy is cancelled mid-term.

We can also offer different levels of cover for you unoccupied property. These would include full benefits of fire, flood, storm, accidental damage to name a few, with the option of reducing cover to a minimum to keep your costs down.

You also have the option of choosing a flexible policy which can be started on an unoccupied basis and then amended mid-term to an occupied basis. The benefits of this include full reinstatement of the policy cover and usually a reduction in the premium.

Properties that have been unoccupied for a period of time can be difficult to insure, and insurers who do accept cover will usually impose terms. These will usually include an internal inspection of the property every 7 days, the boarding up of letter boxes, and the turning off of utilities such as water and gas. We have specialist schemes through our panel of insurers so we can offer insurance for properties which have been unoccupied for up to 5 years.

If you have a commercial property which is currently vacant give us a call so we can offer you a suitable policy with the flexibility you require.

We can cater for vacant properties including:

  • Light industrial units
  • Warehouses
  • Factories
  • Shops
  • Offices
  • Other retail outlets